“Success in business is all about people, people, people. Whatever industry a company is in, its employees are its biggest competitive advantage.” – Sir Richard Branson
Winning with your customers/clients begins by winning with your employees. Your employees are your pipeline to customer engagement, positive reviews, and word of mouth advertising, and a prosperous bottom-line. The more your employees feel valued, the higher and more profound than your employee engagement is; the greater your employee engagement, the more positive and stronger your company morale will be. It’s a domino effect that begins with a company’s decision to recognize the value of their employees.
Employee value begins with taking the time to ensure that every employee understands:
- • The company’s mission statement and purpose and their role and input in attaining that purpose. In fact, a 10-year study by Grow Author Jim Stengel reveals that companies with a high sense of purpose outperform others by as much as 400%.
- • That their attitudes, efforts, and accomplishments are recognized and appreciated. Only 12.4% of workers who are recognized for their work have interviewed for a potential new job switch in the last three months, while more than 21% of workers who don’t feel recognized have been exploring new opportunities. (TINYpulse)
When employees are appreciated and valued as the asset they truly are, they are much more likely to be engaged employees. Engaged employees contribute to tangible returns for your business. The numbers speak for themselves. Valued, engaged employees:
- • Take their tasks seriously and be self-accountable for their responsibilities –ensuring that they complete their part of a project well and on time, and going above and beyond their required tasks for the company’s benefit. (Studies reveal that companies with highly engaged employees improved operating income by 19.2% over 12 months)
- • Stay with the company, reducing turnover. (Engaged organizations have reduced turnover by as much as 87%)
- • Become a brand ambassador for their company. (78% of engaged employees would recommend their company’s products and services)
When employees are engaged, company morale – employee outlook, attitudes, satisfaction, and confidence – climbs. Employees are positive about their work environment and confident that they are in a place where their career can grow and dreams are attained.
Susan M. Heathfield points out that, “Feeling part of the goals that are bigger than themselves (and their job) contributes significantly to positive employee morale. Many employees want to feel as if they are part of something important and contributing to success for the greater good is a real morale booster.”
So, what gives employees a sense of personal value within the workplace? What builds company morale? While there are multiple angles, it boils down to 5 essential pillars.
- • Purpose: As we already mentioned, it’s vital for your employees to connect with the company’s mission and purpose – to know that their tasks contribute to a big picture.
- • Well-being: Creating an atmosphere that says your employees matter to you – that you care about the whole person – including their emotional, social, and mental health — a sense of camaraderie among their coworkers.
- • Appreciation: Nothing contributes more to a sense of purpose and well-being than knowing that your contribution is recognized, respected and appreciated.
- • Growth opportunities: Providing the encouragement and provision to learn and grow in their knowledge, abilities, experience, and career opportunities.
- • Freedom: A chance to be innovative, creative, and even take a risk without fear of repercussion if an idea doesn’t pan out.
Focusing on these five pillars to bring value to your employees, engage them in your culture, and build overall company morale pays a significant ROI. Studies have shown that companies who place value on and invest time in their employees are:
- • 53% more likely to have highly engaged employees
- • 29% more likely to have employees innovating and performing great work
- • 27% more likely to have increased in revenue last year
With numbers like those, who can afford not to place value where value is due?
At Award Staffing, we recognize the value of our staff and our temps. Because we do, you can count on the talent we place in your business. Our mantra is work hard, have fun, and be nice. It makes a difference you can’t get along without. Contact us today.